Four Reflections From 2020

Four Reflections From 2020 Number One - Expect the Unexpected Let’s reflect on 2020 for a moment. From the devastating fires in Australia, to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle quitting the royal family, the passing of Kobe Bryant, the impeachment of the President, the Stock Market crash, Black Lives Matter Protests, Murder Hornets, West Coast fires, Crazy Election Night, Stock Market recovery...and that Coronavirus thing. Weddings, graduations, high school sports, vacations were upended. Trade shows gone. Dining in a restaurant was a special event. Zoom. Thanksgiving, Christmas, you get the picture. You lived it. My personal favorite was losing my appendix 100 miles from home. As a person who loves strategy and execution, this year required more flexibility and patience than ever before. Admittedly, I did not handle everything with grace. Yet, life always changes and learning to deal with ambiguity is a great skill because things Always change. That is a Constant. This year was just extra special... Number Two - Keep Moving Forward With all of the shock and awe from 2020, many simply wanted to cry and go back to bed. Or scream at the headlines. People and organizations ran into paralysis unsure of what to do next. Let’s wait until the stock market recovers, the riots end, the pandemic is over, the vaccine. There is always an excuse to wait and stay in bed. However, there are many people and organizations that have had EXTRAORDINARY years. From Zoom to the News to Organizations that have been at the right place at the right time. More likely, they moved quickly, adjusted and created a better home, organization or company than they started with. They are grateful and humble. We are not hearing about it because this is not a time to brag. But congratulations to all of you who kept moving forward. That is leadership and courage. Survive and truly Thrive. Number Three - Turn off the Noise and Smile I did not start out 2020 this way. I was the daily watcher of Coronavirus counts and percentage of impact on the population. In my inbox, I received daily feeds from multiple news sources about all of the events listed in Lesson Number One - and then some. Instead of feeling informed, I grew a tremendous amount of frustration. Facts should be our friends; not our enemy. Yet, facts have been difficult to find with so many dissenting opinions. One benefit from the weeklong stay in the hospital was the ability to change some habits. My first priority, I unsubscribed from ALL of my daily news feeds. No more Twitter rampages. Turned off the Apple news on the iPhone. Today, I read most of the news from one weekend edition newspaper and it is lovely. I am happier, less frustrated and I have learned that I am still up-to-date with the most important things. Most of the news has minimal impact on my day to day life - nor my clients. As a result, I can be a better person to those around me and smile more. Number Four - Your Close Relationships are More Important than Ever I am extraordinarily grateful for my family and friends and clients. When times get tough, you learn who is there for you. Starting a new business in 2020 with no clients in Portland was a challenge. Add a travel ban. Add panic. Add hospital events with the family. Subtract one appendix. Subtract a college graduation. Thank you to everyone who has supported me this year. Someday, a long time away, we will be able to look back and go, WOW, WE MADE IT! We went through A LOT that year. Congratulations, a quiet self pat on the back is well deserved. As a quote from one of my favorite leaders would close the year's annual report with “the greatest blessings lie in the days ahead.” I wish that to all of you. Happy New Year to you and your loved ones. Exciting announcements coming up in 2021...but until then...especially enjoy the passing of THIS 2020. PS - 60 Consecutive Push Ups in One Set. Let's go!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Business Economics with Bill Conerly

Day 7 - One Week officially in the Books

How to skyrocket your personal and leadership development — one book at a time — with BookThinkers Founder Nicholas Hutchison